Access for All
Having two disabled sons and having been a District Nursing Sister for 13 years in Derbyshire, I am acutely aware that accessibility is such an important issue.
With 32.7 million day visitors per year to Derbyshire, 10 million disabled in Britain and 87 million in Europe – the market is huge! Individuals with disabilities need to be catered for as a normal part of customer service.
Derbyshire is such a special place and has so many great days out for EVERYONE to enjoy.
Hire adapted bikes and cycle on the numerous trails, take to the waters with Sailability at Carsington Water, try abseiling at Millers Dale, enjoy swimming in Bakewell or strolling around the many beautiful villages.
A picnic at the viewpoint on Curbar/Baslow Edge or a day spent at the fully accessible Chatsworth House gives memories to treasure forever. With new accessible trails being created go to www.visitpeakdistrict.com for details or view the ‘You’re Welcome’ booklet from the Tourist Information Centre.
With the Olympics and Paralympics in 2012 Britain made a pledge to make venues throughout the country as accessible as possible. Derbyshire has been selected as a ‘DESTINATION OF DISTINCTION’, 91 minutes by train from London.
The following properties, although not all necessarily on the “Golden Miles Route”, or in the National Accessibility Scheme, may be suitable if you have a disability and wish to visit Derbyshire.
PLEASE, PLEASE check with the owners for details of their accessibility statements prior to booking...
Only those in the Scheme guarantee the provision of nationally agreed standards but suitable properties may be available that provide level access, downstairs bedrooms, bathrooms or wetrooms.
Disability varies so much but one of the main things to consider if you have a property accessible to the public is to make sure that everyone can get in, move around, be able to wash and go to the toilet!
A new charity, www.accessiblederbyshire.org is full of useful information for people with access needs.
Holiday accommodation within Derbyshire with level access, downstairs bedroom and bathroom (some wet rooms) that may be suitable if you have a disability.
- Great Longstone - Thornbridge Manor www.thornbridgemanor.co.uk
- Cressbrook - Cressbrook Hall www.cressbrookhall.co.uk
- Chatsworth - Chatsworth Caravan Club www.caravanclub.co.uk
- Brassington - Hoe Grange Holidays** www.hoegrangeholidays.co.uk
- Wirksworth - Pott’s cottage www.chatsworth.org
- Rowsley - East Lodge Hotel** www.eastlodge.com
- Ilam - Cottage by the pond www.beechenhill.co.uk
- Matlock - Pear Tree Farm Guest House www.derbyshirearts.co.uk
- Ashbourne - Sandybrook Park www.pinelodgeholidays.co.uk
- Darley Dale - Darwin Forest www.pinelodgeholidays.co.uk
- Monyash - Rowson House www.rowsonhousefarm.com
- Near Buxton - Sheldon Cottage www.wheeldontreesfarm.co.uk
- Newhaven - The Piggery www.oldhousefarm.com
- Near Ashbourne - Peak District Spa www.peakdistrictspa.co.uk
- Near Ashbourne - Rivendale Caravan Park www.rivendalecaravanpark.co.uk
- Hartington - Whitehouse Farm Barn www.whitehousefarmbarn.co.uk
- Ashover - Holestone Moor Barns www.hmbarns.co.uk
- Near Buxton - The Seven Room www.stoopfarm.co.uk
- Near Hope - Farﬁeld Farm www.farﬁeldfarmcottages.co.uk
- Hartington - Ashtree Cottage www.netttorfarm.co.uk
- Brushﬁeld - Middle Farm Holiday Cotts www.middlefarmholidaycottages.co.uk
- Near Chesterﬁeld - Red Lion www.redlionandbistro.com
- Holmesﬁeld - Gooseberry Barn www.gooseberryfarmcottages.co.uk
- Haddon - Haddon Grove www.haddongrovefarmcottages.co.uk
- Near Castleton - Rushop Hall www.rushophall.com
- Ashbourne - Ashbourne Hall www.ashbourneselfcatering.com
- Wormhill* - Hargate Hall www.hargate-hall.co.uk
- Hope - Gypsy’s Barn www.peakdistrictholidaycottages.com
The following holidays are suitable for people with learning disabilities:
- Foolow - Mountain House www.mountain-house.co.uk
- Near Matlock - Lea Green Activity Centre www.derbyshire.gov.uk
* Check star rating
** Award Winning
Highlighted text businesses are on “The Golden Miles” Route.